Name:
Location: Pantego, Texas, United States

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Here is an interesting discussion of global warming written by a 15-year old high school girl named Kristen Byrnes for extra credit. It's a long and comprehensive discussion, and seems to be generally accurate. This is much better than Al Gore's ridiculous movie. I like that she has identified a previously un-named solar minimum interval, and named it after herself. (I suspect her Dad helped her write this.) I would definitely give her an A for this work, though I suspect that the typical high school teacher would judge it to not be "politically correct."

http://home.earthlink.net/~ponderthemaunder/id22.html

3 Comments:

Blogger Ed Darrell said...

One difficulty in the paper is that variations in El Nino is caused by global warming -- so, any variation attributable to El Nino is, itself, an effect of global warming.

Her atmospheric atomic testing data appear to me to be way off -- several atmospheric tests from Nevada that I know of are not included in the data.

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ED,

I wrote in the post that I didn't know much about the nuclear testing portion of the discussion. That got lost somewhere. (I'm not very adept at this: I've forgotten my password, so have to post comments anonymously on my blog.

The issue on global warming, in my opinion, is whether or not atmospheric carbon dioxide is a major factor in the warming. As time goes by, it seems less and less likely to me that carbon dioxide is the driver.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed,

It seems doubtful to me that El Nino, Southern Oscillation could be much influenced by global warming. This is because there has been no recent (last 30 years) increase in temperature in the Southern Hemisphere, and virtually no increase in mid-latitudes. The real issue is not whether or not there is warming, but rather whether or not anthropological generation of carbon dioxide is driving warming. In fact, the focus is entirely on carbon dioxide, ignoring other activities of man that influence climate.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home