Name:
Location: Pantego, Texas, United States

Saturday, March 24, 2007

I finished preparing my 2006 tax return. It is amazing how complicated the process has become. Every time the politicians "simplify" the tax code, it takes longer to prepare the return. I would like to see the process simplified by creating a flat tax as has been done in some Eastern European nations. Just get rid on all exemptions, deductions, etc. I suppose that would be impossible because the politicians want to use the tax code for "social engineering." It always strikes me as odd that the super rich always say they favor tax increases. But that seems to be because they don't pay the taxes. I recall that in the 2004 election it was revealed that Mrs Kerry, who apparently has $700 or 800 million paid taxes on income of only about $2 million. Rich guys usually make about 10% per year on their investments (they do better than ordinary folk), so obviously her income was sheltered somehow. Warren Buffett seems to have made $20 billion over the past five or six years (based on my memory of Forbes assessment of the wealth of rich folks); I will bet that he didn't pay much in taxes. He plans to leave the bulk of his wealth to a foundation that will not pay taxes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home