Name:
Location: Pantego, Texas, United States

Friday, May 04, 2007

Some Academics have conducted a study of professional basketball officiating that concludes there is a racial bias. The white officials call more fouls on black players than on white players. I am surprised that there are enough white players to get a large enough sample for accurate statistics. Recently I had dinner with ny son in a Sports Bar, and the Mavericks game was on TV. The Mavericks do have a white player, who I think is a German. I don't often watch basketball, and the first thing I commented on regarding the game was the rules seem to have changed since I played. I noticed that the players were cupping the ball when they dribbled, and traveling was happening a lot, and the officials were not calling these infractions. I also saw a lot of lane violations that were not called. My son thought the rules were the same, but the officals allow a certain amount of "showmanship" now. So, I got to thinking, maybe the white guys and the black guys aren't playing by the same rules. This may also explain why the US doesn't dominate international competition in basketball any more, since the US players are accustomed to more generous interpretation of the rules, particularly for the more famous players.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home