Name:
Location: Pantego, Texas, United States

Friday, January 11, 2008

I went to see my cardiologist yesterday. He seemed to think I'm doing well following the cardiac bypass surgery. I'm not sure that the surgery was a total success since they intended to do a quadruple bypass, and wound up taking 9 1/2 hours to do a double. The doctor thought I have some fluid in my lungs, and ordered an X-ray to check that out. I haven't heard the result yet. The doctor did change my medication, stopping the beta-blocker I was taking as well as the ACE inhibitor and coumadin. He prescribed a different beta blocker that I take twice a day. This beta blocker costs $4 for a one month supply at WalMart. Last year, a one month supply cost about $150. I have read that WalMart is starting to put clinics in their stores for treating minor ailments. Apparently the service is faster than the emergency room, and at $59 costs less. I read that they also take insurance (My insurance has a $100 co-pay, so I wouldn't use the insurance anyway in most cases.) No wonder Democrats hate WalMart: this sort of free market capitalism could actually reduce the cost of healthcare, and would eliminate the allure of socialized medicine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home