Name:
Location: Pantego, Texas, United States

Sunday, June 01, 2008

I watched the tapes of the Father Pfleger sermons. I had no idea a Catholic Priest could be so animated; certainly none I have ever encountered were in their sermons. A few were animated when talking about baseball or Notre Dame football. Father Pfleger, like most liberals, thinks I should feel guilty about the way black people were treated in the United States 150 years ago. He advocates confiscating the wealth of white people for re-distribution to blacks. When viewed in historical context, I see no reason for white guilt, and I am offended by those who contend that I should feel any guilt. The idea that white people in America are now rich because of exploitation of blacks is easily disproven. There were few blacks in the North prior to the Civil War. After the Civil War the South was desolate; what wealth there had been was "gone with the wind." I was born in a shack on the edge of a cotton field in East Texas. We had no electricity, no running water, no indoor plumbing, no telephone, no radio, and not much to eat so everyone was fashionably thin. We foolishly considered that we were as good as anyone, and that character and not wealth was not the measure of a person's worth. My Dad was a blacksmith and an auto mechanic, but didn't make much money because no one could pay. He was a share-cropper and farmed with two mules. When I was about five, he didn't make enough from the farm to pay expenses. (Not unusual: sharecroppers mostly were "in the hole" financially.) My Dad left home walking West looking for work, promising to send for my Mother, my little brother and I when he found work. FDR's alleged magnificent effort in lifting the country out of the depression had not worked for us, or most other people for that matter. As it happened, the buildup for WWII started about that time so my Dad found work. It was a long time before he really prospered. The year I graduated from college I recall that my parents had savings of $1000, the most money they had ever had. As a result of my background, I feel absolutely no guilt regarding black people. I would point out that the blacks I know are far better off financially than my family was when I was young, and they are infinitely better off than if they had been born in sub-Saharan Africa. Obama will not get my vote, or the vote of others with a poor white background, by threatening to take our savings for re-distribution to the more deserving blacks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home