Name:
Location: Pantego, Texas, United States

Thursday, June 05, 2008

James Hansen is once again claiming that the evil George Bush is preventing him from giving interviews warning about Global Warming. Given the number of interviews Hansen gives, it is hard to see how he could give more and still get any work done for NASA. Here is a comment from Dr. Roy Spencer who resigned from NASA because of censorship by the Clinton Administration. Note that Spencer didn't complain, he resigned. This is from Spencer's blog:

http://www.weatherquestions.com/Roy-Spencer-on-global-warming.htm

3 June 2008: A NOTE ON NASA'S JAMES HANSEN BEING MUZZLED BY NASA

I see that we are once again having to hear how NASA's James Hansen was dissuaded from talking to the press on a few of the 1,400 media interviews he was involved in over the years.

Well, I had the same pressure as a NASA employee during the Clinton-Gore years, because NASA management and the Clinton/Gore administration knew that I was skeptical that mankind's CO2 emissions were the main cause of global warming. I was even told not to give my views during congressional testimony, and so I purposely dodged a question, under oath, when it arose.

But I didn't complain about it like Hansen has. NASA is an executive branch agency and the President was, ultimately, my boss (and is, ultimately, Hansen's boss). So, because of the restrictions on what I could and couldn't do or say, I finally just resigned from NASA and went to work for the university here in Huntsville. There were no hard feelings, and I'm still active in a NASA satellite mission and fully supportive of its Earth observation programs.

In stark contrast, Jim Hansen said whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted to the press and congress during that time. He even campaigned for John Kerry, and received a $250,000 award from Theresa Heinz-Kerry's charitable foundation -- two events he maintains are unrelated. If I had done anything like this when I worked at NASA, I would have been crucified under the Hatch Act.

Does anyone besides me see a double standard here?

-Roy W. Spencer
The University of Alabama in Huntsville

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home