Name:
Location: Pantego, Texas, United States

Friday, July 23, 2010

When I was young I used to talk to my grandfather about politics. He usually didn't express many opinions in public, but he would tell me his views. He didn't like Franklin Roosevelt, and was one of the few people I knew who did not idolize FDR. He was convinced that FDR was a fascist. Since then I have found that a lot of European analysts, removed from the American political scene, agree with that assessment. More recently a young woman, Amity Shlaes, has studied the Roosevelt Administration and tends to agree. Obama is the first President since FDR to embrace FDR's antagonism to business, and the policies are failing just as they did in FDR's time. Obama probably assumes that, like in the time of FDR, the media can convince people that the policies are successful. But, in the age of the internet, the old line media and the "journolists" may not be able to pull it off. Here is an article by Amity Shlaes about the need to instill confidence in order to recover from the recession.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home